[lbo-talk] Can Politics Be Liberated from the von Neumann Style?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 14 13:27:52 PDT 2007

On Oct 14, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Julio Huato wrote:

> Why is it evasive or dishonest to resist feeding the prejudices of the
> crowd? Why do we have to reinforce the morbid sense of moral
> superiority that people in the Western world "naturally" feel towards
> Persians, Arabs, Latin Americans, etc.?

This is an insult to the thousands, maybe millions, of Persians, Arabs, Latin Americans, etc., who've been jailed and/or killed fighting against their oppressive states. And who said anything about feeling superior? I'm not advocating silence about U.S. imperial practice, you know. You can't explain the emergence of political Islam, for example, without connecting it to U.S. and British support for the emergence of its ancestors. (I was just reading, in fact, how the Brits essentially created the Muslim Brotherhood.) Nor can you explain its appeal today without connecting it to modern imperialism. So I don't get this "superiority" thing at all.

Doug