[lbo-talk] Zionists policing academic discourse

Carl Remick carlremick at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 08:20:04 PDT 2007

On 10/18/07, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 09:24 -0400, Carl Remick wrote:
> > On 10/18/07, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> > > <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/335667_academics17.html>
> > > For all the damage it
> > > can do in the short term, in the long run such a position is
> > > untenable, too dependent on emotion and cliché rather than hard
> > > facts. ...
> >
> > Really? As has been wisely noted: You can fool all of the people
> > some of the time and some of the people all of the time, and usually
> > that's enough.
>
> I'll inject an uncharacteristic Pollyanna note here: I rather think
> they're fooling fewer people these days. That's one of the reasons
> why they've gotten so hysterical and absurd. When a clown like Alan
> Dershowitz is your public face -- then you're in trouble.

Not necessarily. George Bush's mad-dictator face these days makes the jaw-jutting Mussolini look as beneficent as, well, the Dalai Lama. The WashPo's Dan Froomkin characterized Bush's performance at his press conference yesterday as "defensive." As Froomkin wrote: "Asked how he found himself vetoing a children's health insurance bill that had passed Congress with bipartisan support, Bush insisted that using a veto is 'one way to ensure I am relevant.' When a reporter followed up and asked Bush if he felt he was losing leverage and relevance, Bush replied: 'I've never felt more engaged and more capable of getting the American people to realize there's a lot of unfinished business.' Which, let's be blunt, is hard to believe."

But why is that hard to believe? Bush's strutting, sneering behavior during that press conference was the most combative performance by a president I've ever seen. Bush's message was unmistakable: "I don't give a shit how low my poll numbers get. I still have many months in office. If I feel like it, I'll use my veto power to fuck over every widow and orphan in the land. If I feel like it, I'll use my power as commander-in-chief to bomb Iran back to the Stone Age. If I feel like it, I'll do any damn thing I want, and no one -- not the public, the press, Congress, or allied or enemy nations can anything to stop me. You can all screw yourselves."

*That* was Bush's clear message yesterday in both words and body language. Bush presents the ugliest public face of any US president in history. And it seems work just fine for him.

Carl