[lbo-talk] Why I Skip LBO-talk Protestations

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Oct 22 13:03:11 PDT 2007

ravi wrote:

> Anyway, my advice to you (not that you asked for it) is to use the
> list for entertainment value -- don't pop blood vessels in response
> to what on Usenet used to be called flame-bait (intentional or
> unintentional), or if you are going to respond, try reversing the
> tactics!

Oh, I totally see this list as like having a political discussion in a bar. I may jab people here, but I more or less like everybody on this list. I do get irritated when other people take things too seriously and attack me. I appreciate most of the threads on this list and some of the criticism directed at me. I change my mind based on what I read here, so please don't assume that I'm totally stubborn.

The odds of me bursting a blood vessel are slim, but I've finally realized that lists like this have spawned some personal bad habits:

1) I tend to flame more on Mondays. Since I don't hold down a regular job, it can't be that I'm hating being at the office. It's more likely that the list gets more active on Monday after a quiet weekend. I think I also flame more out of procrastination. 2) I tend to go get a drink and a snack before I write a heated reply to somebody. This is not good for the waistline!

> So, Chuck, what have you been reading lately?

Not much, as I've been busy with job search stuff and tasks involved with running the bookstore. This afternoon I'm waiting to hear back from a full time job that I interviewed well for. I should get this job, but I expect that I won't, given my luck.

I posted my review of Aufheben, which I've been reading. Been reading new issues of Fifth Estate, Communicating Vessels and the Progressive. I'm working on reviews of "Buda's Wagon" by Mike Davis and "The Whistleblower: Confessions of a Healthcare Hitman" by Peter Rost. This summer I also read:

* Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber * Heartbreak Soup: The First Volume of "Palomar" Stories from Love & Rockets by Gilbert Hernandez, * American Splendor: Another Day

How about yourself?

Chuck