[lbo-talk] "Islamofascism Awareness Week" (was Marjane Satrapi: Revolutionary Spirit)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Oct 23 08:58:03 PDT 2007

Doug wrote:

>On Oct 23, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Michael Smith wrote:
>
>> I started prowling back through
>> it to see what terrible thing she's done this time. As usual,
>> I took away the impression that she's taking a lot more personal
>> insults than she's handing out, and in general, her tone is
>> much more temperate and on-topic that her detractors'.
>
>Saying Andie, someone I know fairly well in the real world, and not
>just as a dotcomrade (a word I just learned today, thanks to the
>Urban Dictionary's word of the day), is just like Phyllis Chesler and
>Little Green Footballs - repulsive entities, both of them - is a
>slur, and a desperate one at that...

"Just Like?" Yoshie said no such thing--she responded to a ridiculously intemperate (that she wanted to "let"...) insult by pointing out where in the real world such language is to be found.

>So if she apologizes to Andie and witdraws the slur, then she can
>continue to post her three a day. I just approved two apology- and
>retraction-free posts. Those are the last I'll approve until the
>apology/retraction comes through.

If Yoshie owes Justin an apology, he owes her a much more humble one. To threaten her, but not him, is unconsionable.

Shane Mage

"This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 30