[lbo-talk] "Islamofascism Awareness Week" (was Marjane Satrapi: Revolutionary Spirit)

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Oct 23 10:12:14 PDT 2007

On 23 Oct, 2007, at 11:58 AM, Shane Mage wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>> On Oct 23, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Michael Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I started prowling back through
>>> it to see what terrible thing she's done this time. As usual,
>>> I took away the impression that she's taking a lot more personal
>>> insults than she's handing out, and in general, her tone is
>>> much more temperate and on-topic that her detractors'.
>>
>> Saying Andie, someone I know fairly well in the real world, and not
>> just as a dotcomrade (a word I just learned today, thanks to the
>> Urban Dictionary's word of the day), is just like Phyllis Chesler and
>> Little Green Footballs - repulsive entities, both of them - is a
>> slur, and a desperate one at that...
>
> "Just Like?" Yoshie said no such thing--she responded to a
> ridiculously
> intemperate (that she wanted to "let"...) insult by pointing out where
> in the real world such language is to be found.

And in case that is getting forgotten, here is the relevant parts, including Andie's characterisation of Yoshie's alternative:

>> So, I take, Yoshie, that your answer is that instead
>> of imposing bourgeois wealth and liberties on the
>> unwilling masses in typical imperialist fashion, we
>> can let the clerics impose Sharia law, stuff the women
>> into chadors, authorize honor killings of raped women
>> who disgrace their male relatives, beat clean-shaven
>> men, hang the queers and stone the adulterers, and
>> build a bomb.
>
> The Right have an "Islamofascism Awareness_ Week_," a modest endeavor
> in comparison to tedious repetition of leftists who say much the same
> thing as the Right week after week, month after month, year after
> year. . . . If you posted what you wrote to www.freerepublic.com or
> www.littlegreenfootballs.com, it wouldn't be out of place there -- far
> from it, it would no doubt receive many cheers from right-wingers who
> have too much time on their hands.

The way Andie posts his semi-query is quite similar to the way the right does:

So, your alternative is that our troops get killed?

So, your alternative is that we have cadillac driving

welfare queens?

So, your alternative is another 9/11 with 3000 more dead?

I think Andie was being sarcastic (I do not say that because I possess similar psychic powers as the many personality analysts on the list, but because I have a great deal of respect for him, and I cannot imagine most folks on this list accusing another listmember of actually being in favour of the stuff Andie lists out -- but perhaps I have missed some posts?). Perhaps not a big deal... I say a lot of sarcastic stuff too (like the above reference to "personality analysts"), and I get the inevitable crap thrown back... I thought that's the preferred methodology?

--ravi