[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Oct 29 15:25:50 PDT 2007

I'm mixed on this. I don't think Miles is totally off. This narrative of a defective generation of youth has a long history. One could probably use Williams' critique of the golden age as a strong analogue. On the other hand, my experiences teaching tends to move in this direction as well. I find a lot of willingness to follow instructions, but not a lot of critical thinking skills. A collegue (who teaches 5th grade) suspects that part of the problem is that internet strategies of reading tend to operate on a pan and scan model, rather than a model that critically takes in complex arguments. I would be interested if there were any long term studies on this question of critical literacy (ie. I accept that I am producing ancedotes, which may or may not mean much). My intuition is that this may actually go beyond the effects of the internet, and may have a lot more to do with a society in which its citizens don't have much say in its direction. Robert Wood