[lbo-talk] choices schmoices

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 20:01:59 PDT 2007

It's a total joke to tell people who have no knowledge of markets, no information about companies, no way to evaluate whether to invest in funds or individual or securities or determine the worth of either, that they have "choices." And by people thus ignorant, I mean people like you with postgraduate educations and professional, even technical, jobs. Or like me, with a PhD and a law degree, numerate and an interest in economics. I won't tell you how much I lost in the 2000 bubble, trusting a broker who I choose to believe was an idiot rather than a crook -- even with the mid-decade boom and a painful and protracted education in investment, and having lucked on a really good broker/financial adviser, I haven't make all of it back seven years later. Telling working class people without college degrees that they have "choices" in those circumstances is just a cruel joke and an open invitation to individual and collective disaster or highway robbery. Even the better funds charge a hefty management fee for their, er, services. (It's probably a good idea to check out what annual percentage the fund you picked charges by way of a management fee, but that is by the way.) If I knew more about benefits law I'd write a paper on this. Doug, you should do something on this topic in LBO, I mean an extended treatment. Or have one of your contributing economists do it.