[lbo-talk] GM-UAW agreement

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 26 09:29:01 PDT 2007

> It is a serious question, one to which I don't know the answer. And
> your answer is so at odds with the state of political consciousness
> and organization in the U.S. that it never leaves the realm of
> fantasy. I just posted an article on how miners in Utah are arguing
> against tighter safety regulations. That is the state of political
> consciousness in the U.S. today. C'mon over and help us out.

I appreciate the point, and notice that I am not moralising about it ("betrayal" and so on). I am saying that the deal is actually fairly poor, and we have to see it for what it is. The only way that workers in America will get a better deal is if they recover traditions of mass solidarity and combativity that have long been submerged and destroyed by, I dunno, anticommunism, FBI subversion, and cooptation. It can happen, I'm sure. But don't think I'm coming over there to bang my head against that wall in person.