[lbo-talk] Obama on poverty: straight DLC

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Apr 2 03:23:40 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2008, at 9:18 PM, Max B. Sawicky wrote:
>> The only people who don't support the EITC are a few misguided
>> lefts who
>> insist without
>> a scintilla of evidence that it's an employer subsidy
>
> How is it not an employer subsidy? It allows employers to pay wages
> below the cost of reproduction of the working class. I suppose only a
> "misguided left" would say something like that. Except that an old
> college friend of mine who ran a public housing authority in
> California - someone with totally mainstream Dem politics - said her
> purpose was to allow employers to pay substandard wages.
> Doug

I take it back. You do have a scintilla.

The question is, if they are paying X to begin with (pre-EITC), what do they pay after an EITC. Let's say it is now X-a. If 'a' is smaller than the EITC, which it invariably is in empirical work, your friend notwithstanding, on balance it's not an employer subsidy.