[lbo-talk] Obama on Carter

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 06:44:15 PDT 2008

Obama seems to take the standard line. No talking with terrorists. By now everyone seems to have forgotten that Hamas was elected! Will Washington recognise the new Nepalese government filled with terrorist Maoists?

Obama slams Carter for meeting Hamas, tries to reassure Jewish voters

By The Associated Press

Tags: Barack Obama

PHILADELPHIA - U.S. Senator Barack Obama on Wednesday criticized former U.S. President Jimmy Carter for meeting with leaders of the Islamic terrorist group Hamas as he tried to reassure Jewish voters that his presidential candidacy is not a threat to them or U.S. support for Israel.

The Democratic presidential candidate's comments, made to a group of Jewish leaders in Philadelphia, were his first on Carter's controversial meeting scheduled this week in Egypt.

Republican presidential nominee-in-waiting John McCain called on Obama to repudiate Carter in a speech Monday.

Obama told the Jewish group he had a fundamental disagreement with Carter, who was rebuffed by Israeli leaders during a peace mission to the Middle East this week.

"We must not negotiate with a terrorist group intent on Israel's destruction," Obama said.

"We should only sit down with Hamas if they renounce terrorism, recognize Israel's right to exist, and abide by past agreements," he added.

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html