[lbo-talk] To each according to work

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 23 05:48:28 PDT 2008

So what happened to the dog, cat, mouse, and rat? They dead?

How about this instead:

The Ant and the Grasshopper

In a field one summer's day a Grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart's content. An Ant passed by, bearing along with great toil an ear of corn he was taking to the nest.

"Why not come and chat with me," said the Grasshopper, "instead of toiling and moiling in that way?"

"I am helping to lay up food for the winter," said the Ant, "and recommend you to do the same."

"Why bother about winter?" said the Grasshopper; "We have got plenty of food at present." But the Ant went on its way and continued its toil.

When the winter came the Grasshopper had no food and found itself dying of hunger - while it saw the ants distributing every day corn and grain from the stores they had collected in the summer. Then the Grasshopper starved and that was the end of her. The ant was very smug and pleased with his good decision to store food.

Fuck you grasshopper! What's mine is mine! Or maybe if the grasshopper convinces the ant she is sufficiently contrite she will be allowed to have just enough to survive. Some means test could separate the worthy from unworthy grasshoppers perhaps? The ant is of course unaware he could have leximined both his and the grasshoppers opportunities for welfare by sharing equally but hey, he's just an ant and can't be expected to know such things.

I'll side with Rainbow Fish who gladly shares everything with everyone equally regardless of what they've done for others. Perhaps more Rainbow Fish stories are what our children need and fewer short-sighted hens and ants?

John Thornton