[lbo-talk] Nicole Richie endorses Obama

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 14:07:58 PDT 2008

--- Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Another reason to be interested in pop culture is
> you can impress your kid. My daughter and I were

[WS:] True. I developed some interest in the punk scene for that exact reason when my son was living with me (albeit rap was too much for me to swallow:) - but that was some ten years ago.

However, I never tried to be "popular" with the kids (including those of my partners') - I think it is quite pathetic to see an old coot "wearing a faux fox" (as they say it in the old country) to impress teenagers. I did not dismiss their interests off hand and listen to them - but it did try to be or look like one of them either. I usually told them what I thought - which they considered "gay" at that time - but there is indication they learned to respect that later. Ditto for my students at the Defense Language Institute - which btw were far lesser buttheads than frat brats at "elite" universities.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ