[lbo-talk] [Not sent] Re: What we lose in translation

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Aug 1 17:37:11 PDT 2008

At 02:50 PM 8/1/2008, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>I can still recite from memory, deeply ebgraved in the neural pathways,
>Goodnight Moon, Where The Wild Things Are, Fox In Sox, and the like, and
>my youngest is 15. My oldest, now out on her own, used to protest, now 14
>or so years ago, "Daddy, you're not really _reading_ the book!"
>
>Today was good, today was fun
>Tomorrow is another one

heh. my son just used to look at me, cock his head and say, "Mom?"

Because, always go go go running on 4-5 hrs a sleep a night in grad school, I'd read him the story and, apparently, with my eyes wide open, start dreaming, and talking in my eyes-wide-open sleep. I hope my dreams weren't the stuff of a 5 year old's Freudian nightmare.

Once, I had to read Twain's autobiography. I was taking care of a neighbor's kid, too, because we'd swap: I'd watched her's; she mine, while we were both finishing up college. I started reading that stuff aloud to two year-olds. HA. they liked, they liked! I commented on that to my tutor and she said that was a great observation b/c, back then, books were often read aloud. People couldn't afford or couldn't read, or were living on the frontier with limited access to books anyway, so they'd read aloud -- at libraries and other public places.

i have no idea what this convo is supposed to be about. I'm just randomly reading the list while waiting for a phone call. ha.

shag