[lbo-talk] [Not sent] Re: What we lose in translation

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 22:32:08 PDT 2008

Some of my kids' read-alouds _were_ the stuff of nightmares. What are you reading? Five year old Hannah asked me. A book about a man who turns into a bug, said I. That's silly, said she, read it to me. So I read her Kafka's Metamorphosis (Die Verwandlung). The kids also liked Twain. Hannah was very fond of The Prince and The Pauper, Puddin'head Wilson, and Huckleberry Finn, which are also, the last two of them especially, rather nightmarish. She went through a phase when she would hear _only_ scary stories. She liked Bram Stoker's Dracula (edited in reading aloud, it is rather long), thought Mary Shelley's Frankenstein boring. Totally lost interest in Charlotte's Web when she learned they were not going to eat Wilbur after all. Joel from a very young age liked gore and splatter. I read him the Iliad, he liked the stuff about the spear's point went in through the neck, and his teeth bit on the cold bronze, and black death misted his eyes. I paraphrase

closely from memory. He still collects medieval weaponry replicas, but is a very gentle soul, and I guarantee you he would not stick a spear's point in your neck or other vital organ.