[lbo-talk] Proposed Titles for My Intriguing Book of Intrigue Ripped from Today's Blogs!

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed Aug 27 05:18:38 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 03:03:56PM -0700, boddi satva wrote:

> As for the book proposal in question, I recommend going with the
> Kremlin line: children's books are hot this year and you can't go
> wrong with a fairy tale.

I think the pouncing on boddi has run its course. OK, fine, s/he took on a strawman arguing people were seeing Putin/Medvedev as revolutionary forces - because no one argued that.

But now people are satirizing boddi's claim that part - a large part - of Russian foreign policy is about strategic influence on energy supplies in their part of the world.

Why is that so absurd? I would be shocked if the Russian government wasn't considering this aspect, just like I would be shocked if US foreign policy in the Middle East had nothing to do with oil.

My first reaction during this conflict was to take the Russian "side" because it was a giant spit into the face of the Bushies, who I loathe with all my being. Which is, for the most part, a kind of "enemy of my enemy is my friend" thought, which is not necessarily the best way to think when it comes to the bigger picture.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

Puritanism: the haunting fear that somebody, somewhere, might be having a good time.

-H.L. Mencken