[lbo-talk] In Which, At Long Last, I Ride With Mephistopheles and Faust To The East

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Dec 4 08:36:30 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 08:26:24AM -0800, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Me? I'm waiting for Roku (or someone) to make a streaming HD box; I
> think "owning" DVDs is very 90s.

Agreed about the silliness of buying physical media, whether DVD or Blu-Ray. But - the new Netflix streaming-to-your-Xbox360 feature includes a [small, but] growing library of HD content.

http://www.netflix.com/WiHD?lnkctr=hdgenre

And the price of an Xbox360 Arcade version is only $199 or so.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=xbox+arcade&oe=utf-8&cid=12545845738318162647#ps-sellers

What isn't yet on Netflix, is probably in the torrent cloud. Both my Xbox360 and my PS3 support DLNA/UPnP, which means I can stream downloaded movies from my linux media server using one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV_MediaServers

A NAS device with DLNA/UPnP support, a Bittorrent client, an Xbox360 Arcade and a Netflix account, offers virtually a limitless library of media for anyone with even basic technical skills. I am trying to convince my parents that this approach makes more financial sense than a Blu-Ray player and owning or renting physical media.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123

[Michelle Obama] must PROVE she loves America, as opposed to the Republicans, who everyone KNOWS love America. They just hate half the people LIVING in it.

-Jon Stewart on conservative pundits' calls for Mrs. Obama

to mention patriotism in her DNC speech.