[lbo-talk] Catholicism, was Re: blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 08:32:38 PST 2008

I'd like to make another point. In France and Spain, and I guess to some extent in Italy, fervent Catholicism is associated with the ancien regime and fascism (boo, hiss). In Poland, it is associated with Solidarity. In Ireland, I imagine, it is associated with Irish nationalism. So, the perception is very different, and accordingly so are the respect and influence enjoyed by the Church.