[lbo-talk] Catholicism, was Re: blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 08:10:56 PST 2008

On 09/12/2008, Jenny Brown <jbrown72073 at cs.com> wrote:

> I think it depends how you ask the question. If you ask in the abstract,
> "should abortion be illegal?" many more will say yes than if you say,
> "should the government punish women, doctors?" And people in the U.S. are a
> lot more likely to say 'there oughta be a law' than that the government
> should encourage or discourage this or that.

The question on the page is "should the government discourage abortion using criminal enforcement". I agree you're likely to get a lower Yes on that question than on "should abortion be illegal". But 8%? No way.

> I'm just
> trying to break through the reflexive tone--how could this be! Mexico's
> Catholic!

There's nothing reflexive at all about my skepticism regarding the Mexican statistics on that page. You make too many assumptions. I doubt those numbers because they are not in keeping with the things that I read or heard from Mexican activists themselves in the wake of the Mexico City law change. I would put more credence in their reports than on some random poll on the internet that happens to have a number of other dodgy statistics.