[lbo-talk] Carl Remick, RIP

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Feb 1 12:27:11 PST 2008

I was certainly saddened. I would occasionally write Carl off list, but he usually didn't answer. I suspect I might have offended him over something I wrote putting down Emerson. I realized long after that post, Carl was also a very sincere person too.

I've met and become casual friends with a great many people who have died. All of parents and step parents died long ago. Unfortunately, one problem with these sorts of losses, is that I've become somewhat hardened to them. It's a kind of grinding down of the heart and sensibility. I tried to write something about this ugliness of death to Carl last August after he went after Andy N, and then apologized. But Carl didn't answer. He must have recieved a lot off list emails of concern for him and I was pretty late and far down the list.

I knew after he stopped posting sometime this fall, that he had taken the last turn. I just hate these things. Another good guy gone. Meanwhile the bastards seem to have all the luck and live forever.

I almost always read Carl because he was hilarious. I certainly do miss him on the list. He had a clear sense of reality and used his wit to sharpen its contours to great effect.

CG