[lbo-talk] Obama & the white guys

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 20 17:09:58 PST 2008

I don't think this is hallucinatory. I have heard this exact sentiment expressed by white male Republicans and conservative Democrats that I know. I gather Glen Ford has also heard this from like minded white men. Why is it difficult for Obama fans to believe that many white males vote for Obama because he reinforces their racist ideas about inequality as well as the idea that the "right" type of thinking is all that is required of minorities for them to get ahead? In a less than subtly coded way many of these white males will tell you this is so. Explain to me again why this is to be called progress? Get large numbers of white males to vote for John Conyers, John Lewis, Barbara Lee or Maxine Waters and I'll go along with the idea that this demonstrates a lessening of bigotry. I don't see a vote for Obama as demonstrating this lessening of bigotry however. Not as a lessening in bigotry from 25 or 30 years ago anyway. If the best you can demonstrate is that this is good news compared to the ways things were before 1973 why is this worth celebrating? We can't continue to celebrate the same victory for 30 years. It's time to show real progress or quit calling it even a small victory.

John Thornton