[lbo-talk] what is the new york times/which number is larger

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Sun Feb 24 10:12:09 PST 2008

I bought the Sunday NYT this morning at a Safeway grocery store in Tucson. A pleasant clerk, probably in her late thirties and almost surely a native English speaker, asked us, "What is the New York Times?" "Is it just a New York paper?" This surprised me, especially since she could have looked at a NYT on any work day. She had no idea what the NYT was.

Then yesterday or Friday, the NYT had an article that reported on a study that showed that home buyers often enough do not know that a number such as $451,145 is larger than $450,000. And I wondered why my students last term had such a hard time with PPP exchange rates and the diffference between nominal and real wages!

Sometimes it is hard not to despair!

Michael Yates