[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 5 10:04:07 PST 2008

Marvin Gandall wrote:

> I foresee a Huckabee groundswell on the list as a last desperate hope
> against Obama's developing fascist movement.

Who the fuck said anything about Obama's fascist movment. Obama iS not remotely a fascist, nor are his followers. But if you want to understand how a real fascist movement might look if one arose (say) in 2020, Obama's campaign will give you a better vantage point than will the policies and personalities of the Bush administration.

You are probably also right that Huckabee's campaign gives us an image of a possible fascist movement in 2020, and Huckabee personally and some of his current followers may well have a fascist edge which Obama certainly does NOT.

But your humor still doesn't offer any grip on the very real danger of creeping authoritarianism (A NON-FASCIST authoritarianism) in the U.S. You are whistling past the cemetery of u.s. political freedom. The Tiger of a creeping authoritarianism described by Chip Belet is at the backdoor and too many people are crying Wolf! at the illusory wolf of fascism at the front door.

The mixture of metaphors in the preceding paragraph is both banal & imprecise, but I've got other things to do than work out how to be precise here.

Carrol