[lbo-talk] Dept. of WTF: Protesters demand Hillary iron their shirts

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 09:42:34 PST 2008

Yeah, I am a huge fan of Idiocracy, made almost entirely here in Austin with a lot of local Austin talent. "Borat" I was overall less impressed with, though the drunken frat guys in the trailer being openly racist and sexist was jaw-droppingly embarrassing for American culture, just like I'd think Putin striding around topless in a river would be for Russia -- but that apparently is totally reasonable and understandable, cuz, hey, it was hot out.

If the "Iron my shirts" protest thing was a frat boy joke, it's the kind of thing that benefits Hillary rather nicely -- it reminds folks, hey, she is a woman after all, and that is a pretty big change in and of itself, when you think of it. Barack lately has been pushing change, change, change as his big theme. It's stolen Hillary's fire. The hamfisted sexist remarks give her opportunity to remind people, look, I'm a gal -- isn't that a pretty big change, too? And she got some mileage out of it, joking to reporters after the event about discussing ironing clothes with people after the pres conference, if they were still curious about it. It's really the kind of thing that plays into her hands. And I don't underestimate her intelligence or audacity in trying to pull stunts like this, though it seems rather clumsy to me. Clumsy like the bad "Sopranos" campaign ad with Bill.

-B.

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

"[WS:] Have you watched "Borat," "Idiocracy" or read postings to internet chatrooms? I do not think anyone lost money betting on the idiocy of the American buttheads."