[lbo-talk] hmm, and I thought it was talk therapy that was ineffec tive!

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 06:50:18 PST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 7:48 AM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> One side effect of some SSRIs is mania or hypomania.
> It hit me like a ton of bricks. Happy bricks. I
> remember the onset very vividly. I was at work in the
> Watergate Hotel listening to Kate Bush's The Sensual
> World when suddenly I felt like I had been hit by
> lightning, metaphorically speaking. Waves of pure
> ecstasy.

For me it was like dropping acid, minus the incoherence and cramps. I was driving to work and suddenly the world was really *interesting*. The traffic lights burned bright, the moire patterns from two chainlink fences caught and held my attention, the air was thick like a rioja, the drizzle beautiful on the windshield and delicious on the tongue. I've never enjoyed pumping gas into a Pontiac at 7AM on an overcast day in suburban sprawl kiddie corner to a shopping mall so much as that morning.

Unfortunately or fortunately the overt effects wore off. I've tried going off it, but I drift into miserable crabbiness when I do. I seem to respond to going on and off it very quickly, which would suggest placebo effect, but I suspect I have a slightly overamped metabolism.

-- Andy