[lbo-talk] recession severity

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 24 11:15:26 PST 2008

A lot of Wall Street types are forecasting the worst recession since the 1930s. My first reaction to this was: worse than 1974-75, or 1981-82? Those were really nasty - GDP down around 3%, unemployment up to 9-10%. We haven't seen anything like that in decades, though we might this time. And there's nothing (yet) in the leading indexes to suggest that's in the offing. I asked a pal of mine who's one of Wall Street's leading business cycle forecasters if there's anything to this prediction - he agreed with me that there's nothing in the leading indicators yet to suggest anything like that, and he concurred that the gloom may be in large part the result of the fact that Wall Street has been hit so hard in recent months, which might be skewing their perspective.

If the leading indicators decline more - the Conference Board's is now off around 1% for the year ending in December, compared with 8-10% declines before the mid-70s and early-80s recessions - I'll change my tune. But we're not there yet.

Doug