[lbo-talk] Heidegger

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Jul 8 17:53:30 PDT 2008

================================ Wasn't the very commendable civil rights and trade union organizing undertaken by the CP from the 20's to the 60's pretty consistent through the various changes in party line, and didn't it, in fact, reach it's high point during the period of the Popular Front? I don't offhand see a direct causal relationship between the activity of its militants in these milieus and either the Third Period Policy or the Pop Front. How did the alliance with the NAACP and middle class leaders like MLK inhibit such organizing? If anything, I would think it would have assisted such efforts because of the credibilty enjoyed by the representative organizations and leaders within the black community. Critics, mainly Trotskyist, have charged that the Popular Front derailed the working class movement POLITICALLY - including in the US, where it enhanced the influence of the Democratic party - but I'm unaware of any critiques that it had a deleterious effect on how the party conducted it's "mass work" outside the political arena. But maybe I've forgotten a lot, or should read Kelley.