[lbo-talk] URPE Summer Conference -- Aug 15-18 -- REGISTER NOW! ORGANIZE A PANEL!

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 08:46:18 PDT 2008

Doug wrote:

> Who studies that stuff without wanting to go into academia or
> finance? Sure, some can go work for unions, but that's about it. Find
> 'em some jobs, and they'll stick it out.

Well, you said it: the jobs are there. To start with, academia, finance, unions. I'd add governments and their agencies, regular businesses, left-wing think tanks, advocacy groups, and nonprofits. What's wrong with having leftists in there, everywhere?

> Though what has the contribution been lately of radical economics?

Just to name an example, I find the work conducted by Dean Baker's think tank to be important.

But the way I think of it is, it doesn't matter if as of late radical economics has been sleeping. Can it help in the future? I think the answer is yes.

> Why should young people be attracted to something that barely exists?

Why not?