[lbo-talk] sprinting rightwards

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 28 09:12:19 PDT 2008

On Jun 28, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Is admiration of Butler merely a literary preference, not entering
> into
> thought and/or practice in any area not specifically covered by
> Butler?
> Surely "well-ifnormed" requires a deconstuctive analysis.

By the way, if that was a tendentious and pointlessly roundabout way of asking whether I think ill-informedness is produced or innate, I'm almost insulted to have to repeat this: creating such a large, detached, and confused population is one of the great achievements of the American system. It was a long history of repressive violence, restrictive election laws, "the false consciousness we call white racism" (as Glen Ford puts it), the power of money in politics, etc. etc., added to an individualistic Protestant culture, that got us here. But we are here now, and this is the reality we have to deal with. Which is why sometimes you just want to urge people to pull their heads out of their asses.

Doug