[lbo-talk] Times UK: Obama likes Hagel for Defense Secretary, maybe VP

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Mar 4 17:08:30 PST 2008

[I have no idea how reliable Times UK political gossip about the US is, but...]

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3466823.ece

From The Sunday Times

March 2, 2008

Barnstorming Obama plans to pick Republicans for cabinet

Sarah Baxter

As he jets across two key states whipping up the support that could

finish off Hillary Clinton this week, the Democratic frontrunner is

already mapping out a government of all the talents. Our writer joins

him aboard Obama One

AS Barack Obama enters the final stages of the fight for the

Democratic presidential nomination, he is preparing to detach the

core voters of John McCain, the likely Republican nominee, with the

same ruthless determination with which he has peeled off Hillary

Clinton's supporters.

The scene is set for a tussle between the two candidates for the

support of some of the sharpest and most independent minds in

politics. Obama is hoping to appoint cross-party figures to his

cabinet such as Chuck Hagel, the Republican senator for Nebraska and

an opponent of the Iraq war, and Richard Lugar, leader of the

Republicans on the Senate foreign relations committee.

Senior advisers confirmed that Hagel, a highly decorated Vietnam war

veteran and one of McCain's closest friends in the Senate, was

considered an ideal candidate for defence secretary. Some regard the

outspoken Republican as a possible vice-presidential nominee

although that might be regarded as a "stretch".

Asked about his choice of cabinet last week, Obama told The Sunday

Times: "Chuck Hagel is a great friend of mine and I respect him very

much," although he was wary of appearing as though he was already

choosing the White House curtains. But after winning 11 primary

contests in a row after Super Tuesday, he is ready to elbow Clinton

off the stage.