[lbo-talk] Obama picks Rahm Emanuel, free trade fanatic & welfare "reformer"

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 13:42:19 PST 2008

> I bet -- haven't checked -- you could have found the same sort of
> signals from Bill Clinton, yet he came damn close to getting a peace
> deal with Arafat, efforts towards which ended up getting Rabin
> assassinated. So I conclude the Dems are not quite as bad as they
> look on ME policy. They say the things needed to mute the Jewish
> crazies but have the potential to do better than those postures
> suggest.

Yeah, yeah - the Bantustan deal which the Palestinians, being crazy, turned down -- at least as it's seen from a Clintonite perspective.

I know that in certain social dem circles, Clinton was a hero in the ME. Yet the arms kept flowing, apartheid upheld as best as possible, Palestinians still rotting in camps, water stolen, with Israel working as an imperial partner in other parts of the world, the military alliance with Turkey being one. Again, it all depends on how much these objective facts bug you. If you think that under Clinton it wasn't all that bad, then what can I say to that? I expect the same excuses made for Obama once he gets rolling.

So, Max, is neo-liberal corporate rule on its death bed? Huzzah. That's CHANGE I can pretend to believe in.

Dennis