[lbo-talk] Nader: not the only one to use the phrase 'Uncle Tom'

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 6 13:46:25 PST 2008

James Heartfield wrote:
> Those leaping to defend Barack Obama from racial epithets seem to have let the same slip by when it came to Condoleezza Rice, who was called a 'House Negro' on this list http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2005/2005-September/019971.html and a 'Black American Princess' http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2002/2002-December/028191.html
> Marvin Gandall defended the use of 'Uncle Tom' to describe establishment blacks here http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2006/2006-May/008881.html and Doug called Juan Williams 'Uncle Tom' here http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2006/2006-January/000560.html
>
> I guess it is not the words 'Uncle Tom' that people are objecting to, but that Nader dared to criticise Obama.

No one on this list called Rice a house negro in this post. That is an article posted here written by a non-list member. No one on this list called Rice a Black American Princess in this post. This to was an article posted here written by a non-list member. Marvin Gandall isn't calling anyone an Uncle Tom here.

Criticism aimed at "establishment Jews" is more akin to the charge of "Uncle Tom" leveled at black American leaders, rightly or wrongly, by black leftists and their white allies, an even more provocative characterization than "Establishment black" to describe the likes of Condoleeza Rice, Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell, and others.

I agree with Marvin that Black leftists calling Rice, Thomas, Powell or others Uncle Tom isn't evidence of racism. I disagree that having white leftists use the term isn't evidence of racism. Marvin didn't weigh in on the Nader use of the term so he may very well feel it isn't racist. If you're claiming Marvin wouldn't object to Nader using the term I don't think anyone would disagree. Doug did however call the very odious Juan Williams an Uncle Tom. Bad Doug. Apologize and say three Hail Mary's and god will forgive you.

One out of four isn't really very good James. I object to Doug using this term but the fact that I don't read every post of Doug's is only evidence that I don't read every post of Doug's and nothing more. In defending Nader's use of Uncle Tom you're just digging yourself a deeper hole. I'd throw you a rope but I fear you'd only hang yourself with it.

John Thornton