[lbo-talk] Gay marriage

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 13 12:28:41 PST 2008

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> There used to be miscegenation laws in this country prohibiting blacks and whites to marriage. There are disanalogies for every analogy, and you may be right about race, although I don't think so -- many racist whites perceive being black as being lazy and violent, moral failings, for which for some confused reason their racial not-being-able-to-help-it-ness doesn't offer an excuse. Nonetheless, if you don't like this analogy, pick another.

The Nazi's didn't seem to think not-being-able-to-help-it-ness of Jews being Jews was a sufficient reason not to set up the camps. In fact, I would guess that a general conviction of homosexuality not being a choice would intensify rather than ameliorate anti-gay attitudes. It's much better tactics, I think, to insist that gayness is a choice and a choice that must be honored.

Carrol