[lbo-talk] HRE: Crisis Hitting Europe

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 5 04:59:26 PDT 2008

>From the (admittedly limited) set of English-language
news sources I frequent, both mainstream and radical, the cascading crisis in the German financial sector doesn't seem to be getting much play at all. The liquidity crisis and subsequent sale of Sachsen LB in the past year seems to have gone unmentioned, and the current high-level hand-wringing about Hypo Real Estate also doesn't seem to be registering much.

Here a few links in German.

(Note: the final article cited from Der Spiegel still mentions the supposed rescue of HRE, which we now know was announced too prematurely)

Hypo Real Estate:

http://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen/banken-versicherungen/hypo-real-estate-kaempft-ums-ueberleben;2055142

http://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen/handelsblatt-kommentar/zu-frueh-gefreut;2055219

Deutsche Bank and Commerzbank try to reassure the public and investors:

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,582263,00.html

Threatening liquidity crisis:

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,582139,00.html