[lbo-talk] authentically working class

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Thu Sep 11 16:12:48 PDT 2008

shag:

>i was wondering what kind of data we have on political opinions
>among people living in sta vs suburbia vs urban areas - with
>breakdowns among them as to income, race. it seems to me that the
>most repulsive views i encounters are among
>surburbanites/exurbanites. they're the ones who spout off the FAUX
>snooze talking points with a vengeance.

This has been my experience in Texas as well. People from wealthy suburban Dallas--Plano, Richland, and the like--and suburban Houston--like Brazoria County, which is Ron Paul country and the target of Ike--are much more repulsive and reactionary than people in small towns. But that's just my limited experience and not a scientific survey, which is why it would be nice to have the data you talk about.

Doug:

"stA" is more Republican than non-"stA." I know you're not big on the state and mainstream politics, but that counts for something.

It does, I suppose. But voting is a pretty poor quantification, don't you think? I know that I came this close to voting for Kerry last time, but decided at the last second not to. I'd be horrified if I had and if anyone took that as proof that Kerry represented my politics.