[lbo-talk] McCain "suspends" campaign, wants to delay debate, because of bailout

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 24 21:05:12 PDT 2008

shag wrote:
> At 05:48 PM 9/24/2008, Dennis Perrin wrote:
>>> Here's a hypothesis: this means Goliath thinks he's losing.
>>>
>>> Charles
>>
>> Perhaps, but unlikely. McCain is trying to look presidential, unlike
>> his younger, untested opponent. I'm sure this was vetted at length
>> within his inner-circle. Like the Palin pick, it's meant to grab
>> headlines and build momentum.
>>
>> Doris
>
> I think he'll look like an ass, especially if BHO plays it right. He
> looks like a chicken shit who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Obama should be able to spin this his direction. Obama should note that neither he nor McCain are finance experts and the first job of a President is to know what tasks to delegate. Some words about how a candidates job is to give voters the information they need to make an informed decision and how important the debates are for informing votes and McCain's play will look more like evasion than concern. Plus the media like the debates since it gives them something to yammer on about so they have an interest in having them happen on time so they have a reason to portray McCain's idea negatively. I think this is going to backfire and make McCain look less competent than he thinks it will.

John Thornton