[lbo-talk] Notes on an Orientation to the Obama Presidency

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 2 11:07:45 PDT 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 9:56 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I haven't yet read Charles's reply below -- but Yes I think he would
> be
> "be blanketing the Internet with apologetics > for John Kerry" because
> the CP is committed to supporting the DP as the best available.

Actually, I did an archive search last night and found almost nothing that Charles wrote in defense of Kerry. On the contrary - I found this, from August 2004:

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2004/2004-August/018482.html>

"Afterall, Bush may be the lesser evil. How can we say that Kerry's election wouldn't be something very close to fascism?"

To which you responded:

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2004/2004-August/018506.html>

"And I'll say this much for Charles's suggestion: if an equivalent to fascism ever comes to threaten the u.s., it will be dressed in liberal not old-fashioned reactionary clothing. So if someone told me that they knew for sure that either Kerry or Bush was a covert fascist, I'd pick Kerry. But the game is silly. No fascist threat in 2004."

Doug