[lbo-talk] Abolition of prisons (Was: Angela...)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 6 17:24:01 PDT 2009

At 06:11 PM 4/6/2009, John Thornton wrote:

>I'll try to explain this more clearly.
>I object to robbery being included in the category of violent crimes
>with rape, assault, and murder since it is not a crime committed
>with intent the harm others as these crimes are.

Under the law robbery is by definition violent because it includes "using means of force or fear to take personal property directly and permanently from another person." (quoting from Nolo's Criminal Law Handbook). They also give the example of using a gun to hold up a convenience store. It doesn't matter if it's an unloaded gun or a toy gun, you're using force or fear so it's robbery.

How do you propose to get around that?