[lbo-talk] Prisons and The Left

Sheldon humanist.observer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:15:44 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't think that John is advocating that prison should be done away with for ALL crimes, just for nonviolent property-related ones.

Yeah, why don't we get back to that question? When I first called into question the wisdom of calling for the abolition of prisons I linked to the recent case of the Phoenix AZ sniper, John Hausner, a white man, who apparently thought it fun to do target practice at a variety of diverse ethnic and racial human targets. And Carrol Cox apparently proposes to confine the guy in a luxury resort hotel. And also directly equates prisons with racial oppression. Which is of course true to a certain extent. But lets face it, nobody is going to take a left seriously that proposes that we put thugs like these in luxury resort hotels.