[lbo-talk] hippies reduxie (was: "Doing History Backward")

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Apr 8 21:30:36 PDT 2009

At 10:00 PM 4/8/2009, Carrol Cox wrote:
> And as contemptuous as I was of them then, and now, I suspect
>that even the so-called "hippies" were part of the needed mix.
>Carrol

didn't we have a discussion once about how the "hippies" with their lack of ideas, etc. was a construction of the mass media, in particular it started with a Time or Newsweek article?

Yes, why yes, we did. Michael Smith mentioned it as a media construction and you confirmed it. Doug posted the actual article to the list and thought it hilarious.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,899555-1,00.html

Michael's post: http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2006/2006-August/016640.html

my question: http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2006/2006-August/016639.html