[lbo-talk] "Doing History Backward" (Partial Draft)

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 12:18:31 PDT 2009

> APR:
> Are you equating the 60s generation with hippies and locating the whole of
> the generation in the white populations of advanced industrial and
> once-upon-a-time oh-so-very-cultured and, of course morally sophisticated,
> goal-oriented and hard working West?
> All I can say, if you are, is: it seems to me that you paint rather
> indiscriminately with a broad brush and blind eye (or two).

Look, the 60s, for most today are not so much an era as a mindset. There were certain ideas put forward by the 60s generation which are the only things that survive today. I fundamentally disagree with these ideas. I think they are toxic, individualistic, narcissistic, selfish and, well, bourgeois. Disagree if you like. As I said I'm not so much casting judgement as recognising a dodgy period in human history. I'm not just talking about the "cool" kids either. I'm talking about a mindset which was latent at the time...