[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 17 15:48:33 PDT 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 6:23 PM, Andy wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 17, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>>
>>> Alice's whole point is that in order to have a consistently fresh
>>> and
>>> imaginative approach to restaurant cooking, you have to be
>>> responsible for
>>> your ingredients
>>
>> I.e., shopping. The Frenchman was right.
>
> I'm confused what his point would have been. You have to start with
> good ingredients, etc. etc.

Of course you have to start with good ingredients. But there's a preposterous fetishization of sourcing around Chez Panisse. Everything on the menu has a pedigree:

<http://www.chezpanisse.com/pgdownmenu.html>.

<http://www.chezpanisse.com/pgcafemenu.html>.

Classic French and Italian cooking isn't like this. You start with good stuff, but you don't have to name everything that goes into the pan.

Doug