[lbo-talk] Identi.ca for Twittering Leftists?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 08:20:18 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Politicus E. <epoliticus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ravi asked "[a]nyone interested in using identi.ca for quick exchange of
> short messages (i.e., Twitter)?" I am interested, but of course the
> use-value of such applications varies in proportion to the number of users.
> For reasons not clear to me, however, I usually am unable to convince
> leftists to adopt such new technologies, as supplements to mature
> technologies, for political agitation. Oddly, this is also true of many
> Marxists, who, it seems to me, ought to know better.
> epoliticus

Haraway dealt with this kind of (often) anti-tech sentiment among feminists - twenty years ago - by articulating a clear argument for cyborg subjectivity - one rooted historically, technoscientifically and embodied situated and partial knowledges rather than through the pursuit of naturally, culturally or politically essentialized discourses and transcendental values.

At the same time, I think many folks resist these kinds of developments simultaneously for fear of long and difficult learning curves and Baby Boomers/academics/leftists' sneering disrespect for Gen Y's perpetually chaotic "lack of focus" and the "meaningless" of always-available/always-in-touch quick-and-dirty communications.