[lbo-talk] Americans sorta like torture if it works

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Apr 23 13:19:49 PDT 2009

Wojtek, still not geting it, writes:

> There is no risk involved in the failure to obtain actionable
> intelligence in a criminal justice case ...

There is no risk that this thread is about criminal justice!

> As I already said, the only choice in a criminal justice case ...

... is completely unrelated to this thread.

> If you want my opinion ...

I usually don't, but:

> I think that intelligence obtained through torture of any kind
> is basically garbage - not just useless but counterproductive,
> as the informants have every incentive to "confess" regardless
> of the truth function of that "confession."

Yes, that is the supposition I'm referencing here:

>> Michael wasn't suggesting waterboarding for punishment; he
>> was suggesting that it be used to find the truth: whether
>> waterboarding can really be expected to produce actionable
>> intelligence. There's a suspicion that it cannot; but
>> there's an assertion by Cheney that it can.

Dick Cheney has claimed that He Knows Better and that your opinion, in this case, is wrong.

All Michael is saying is that there's a simple way to test who is right.

----

This is the absolute last time I'm going to painstakingly explain a funny joke to you.

/jordan