[lbo-talk] what happened to ISPs?

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Apr 23 14:41:46 PDT 2009

Man, you guys are in a constantly pissy state!!

On Apr 23, 2009, at 3:43 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Wojtek writes:
>
>> You got all backwards, Jordan.
>
> No, I think that's you.

Not the way I read it Jordan. He has different problems with Verizon (unsolicited add-ons) whose pricing he is otherwise happy with, than with the other providers (whose sleaziness he is ignorant of and pricing he finds comparatively uncalled for).

>> Other providers demanded a higher fee for their services,
>> whose benefits to me are basically the same as those of
>> Verizon's services.
>
> ... except, of course, that you don't think they'll try to rip you
> off.
>
> My point: Verizon is cheap because they are bastards. I pay "more"
> to Speakeasy because they aren't bastards. You may say "they are
> the same" -- and yet you are the one who has the complaint.

Speakeasy is not the only comparison. In fact, they are somewhat of an exception, but for a steep price (at least in some locations); but they can be bastards too (depending on what you define as bastard) -- they were reselling T1s from of all people Covad, and at prices higher than many other providers. The rest are all much the same: AT&T, EarthLink, Comcast, etc.

Every few months, for the fun of it, I like to call Comcast up and say "FiOS, motherfuckers, don't make me do it" and they reduce my rate back to $29.99/month. ;-) Woj, you need to build that sort of intimate relationship with your service provider.

--ravi