[lbo-talk] Americans sorta like torture if it works

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 23 18:21:04 PDT 2009

Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Those of us who are not torture advocates DO NOT CARE whether you can
> calculate the efficiency of torture: it is wrong in every c
> You apparently agree with Cheney.

(We need a better word than "civilized," but with that proviso I'll use it here.)

The point is that one of the criteria for entrance into civilized conversation is unqualified opposition to torture. This is one of those rare cases in which an ad hominem argument is not invalid: he/she who fails to condemn and oppose torture disqualifies themselves in any discussion of social affairs (or human relations in general).

And of course, any ihterest or social condition that requires torture for its defense to that extent disqulaifies itself as an acceptable condition. If U.S. security from terrorist attack depends on torture, then safey from terrorist attack is not a legitimate condition.

Carrool