[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Aug 7 09:58:53 PDT 2009

On Aug 7, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Matthias Wasser wrote:
> Well. Humans couldn't survive without some rules. That much is true.
> We
> might be operating on different meanings of the word "instrumental."
> In this
> context my use of the word refers only to things done or existing to
> fulfill
> the conscious will of some entity. Evolutionary processes, whether
> biological or, in many instances, social, don't fulfill that
> requirement.
> There are contexts in which it's sensible to say that "the purpose
> of the
> heart is to pump blood through the body," but right here I'm being
> literal.
> Hearts have no purpose, strictly speaking. Pacemakers do.

You are right. I stretched/distorted the meaning of the word ;-). More soon...

--ravi

-- Anyone who takes an effort to intellectually challenge the status quo and established habits is infinitely more venerable than hacks defending that status quo and established habits, regardless of the truth function of their propositions. -- W.Sokolowski