[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 09:04:35 PDT 2009

I see where you're going semiotically here, but this what Geertz is doing. The symbol is the object/act. The meaning it carries is the abstract concept, not an object. But he does think of these concepts/conceptions as meaningful primarily in terms of their being expressed materially, which is part of why any objects or acts can be symbols -- if they carry meaning. This underscores the centrality of ritual, and religious doctrine (for example) then is seen as important insofar as it matters for what people actually do (whether in ritual strictly speaking, or in simply acting more broadly). There is something William James about it, in that respect. But I think it's fair to say that Geertz is very much in the tradition of Durkheim and Weber. But Geertz is worth reading, imo, and I think the case is much more solid than with Badiou. Everyone talks about the balinese cockfight essay, and I'm not dissing it, but for me the ones that have always mattered are "thick description" and the essay on "religion as a cultural system," the latter of which I usually make students in religion classes read. Both are in _the interpretation of cultures_. The problem, as Alan already noted, is his emphasis on meaning. On the one hand, this is very compelling, and on the other, it means (as it were) that he misses things. Myself, I'm fine with that, because his approach to the question of religion, and of culture in general, is useful.

and i'm presuming that if i've said anything wildly misleading, alan or someone will correct me.