[lbo-talk] Firesale of the Empire

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 11 20:24:11 PST 2009

Bob Morris wrote:

> However Taibbi is getting the message out to a lot of people for whom it is
> quite new.
>
> For example, libertarian / business / financial blogs like Zero Hedge, Naked
> Capitalism, The Big Picture and others are quoting him favorably. I'd call
> that a sea change. Some of those financial blogs used to mock him, Not
> anymore. Even Clusterstock, who tend towards Randian ideas, are generally
> favorable to him.
>
> Look, while what he's saying is obvious to us, it's not to others. He's
> reaching a whole new audience.

This assumes capitalism, or rather capitalists and capitalist idealogues are incapable of self-criticism, or that such criticism can endanger rather than, in fact, strengthen capitalsm. And "new audeinces" have been won every two or three generations since the beginning of capitalism, and out of those new audiences dobutles a scattering of radicals emerge, some of whom form organizations such as SLP, IWW, CPUSA, etc. But most of thenew audiences simply assume that it is a good thing to know all these bad things, and they preen themselves on the knowledgte, as Nation readers have been doing for 70 years or so. Then they gradually lose interest, and very few pay attention to radical critics for another gneeration or two, before the same cycle begins again.

The task of radicals is to break that endless circle. Or at least give thought to how it might be broken, rather than merely cheering it on because, gee a few tens of thousands are temporarily awakened to gee, things are bad.

Carrol