[lbo-talk] Cockburn on AGW?

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Dec 26 21:07:07 PST 2009

> From: dhenwood at panix.com
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:22:12 -0500
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Cockburn on AGW?

The guy also loves big old cars. And he prefers to blame corporations,
> rather than things like a fondness for driving, for our ecological
> problems.

I think that's probably shallow, and corps are in fact the primary culprits, not crew cab driving rednecks. More importantly, however: we are all committing crimes against the environment. For example:"green" alternatives such as florescent and LED lights (as used in the back of your computer screen) come at an environmental price in the form of a heavy dose of mercury poising to those near where burnt out lamps are disposed of. New electric cars are likely to use Li-ion batteries, a technology currently employed in virtually all portable electronic devices. The life expectancy of those who make the batteries as is about 25 and the long term consequences of disposal of used batteries is unknown. They are also are prone to catching fire and exploding, a less Sony learned the hard way...And I haven't even mentioned coltan, the infamous metal ore used in cell phones, currently fulling the worst humanitarian crisis on the planet--you know, the one in DR Congo. -Peter _________________________________________________________________ Add your Gmail and Yahoo! Mail email accounts into Hotmail - it's easy http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/