[lbo-talk] Re" CNN prints "Libertarian" ideas to save economy

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Fri Feb 6 12:58:17 PST 2009

John Gulick wrote:

> Does "polemicist Charles Murray" SELF-IDENTIFY as a libertarian?
> I've always thought of him merely as a pseudo-intellectual shill
> for the evisceration of the Great Society, not as an ideologue in
> the purest sense of the term.

Absolutely:

What It Means to Be a Libertarian by Charles Murray

<http://www.amazon.com/What-Means-Libertarian-Charles-Murray/dp/0767900391/>

What do you mean by an ideologue in the purest sense? Propertarians are all about the evisceration of countervailing power. Take Brian Doherty. In his massive ode, Radicals for Capitalism, the first evil he attacks is not imperial war, not mass incaceration, and not state executions of citizens. No, his first target is Social Security. That invocations of the "free market" obscure private power is a feature, not a bug.

Shane